Herewith my tutor, Carla Rees’s feedback following the submission of my first assignment:
In summary, the feedback has asked me to focus on the following areas before the second of my assignments is due for submission:
- Form: what form will the piece take? Ten separate sections could be hard to piece together and flow as one piece of music: consider combining into 2-4 movements?
- Structure: this is important for me to plan carefully, applying timings for each key section and perhaps ‘map’ the piece out. Timetable which sections should be ready for each assignment; 2 per assignment from hereon in?
- Ensemble: I haven’t clarified the group that I’m writing for and if I haven’t already considered this yet, I should think about writing for at least 10 players, possibly bigger. Confirm what size of ensemble I want to write for, i.e. symphony orchestra.
- Research: I need to broaden my research to more contemporary composers. I had already nominated a few, but Carla is keen for me to add the following to my list:
* Arvo Part
* John Tavener
* Lutoslawski (for dissonance)
* Nono (dissonance)
* Boulez (dissonance)
* Ligeti (dissonance)
* Shostakovich’s symphonies
* Mahler’s symphonies
* Wagner’s Ring Cycle
* Film composers such as Hans Zimmer, Bernard Hermann, Michael Nyman to see how they interpret emotion
- Critical Review: Overall, Carla was in favour of my initial thoughts and ideas, but she has suggested that I choose my piece/s carefully to make sure that a score is available for me to access and cite in my discussions.